Sunday, March 6, 2011

Beginnings


   









 
                         After transferring the initial drawing onto canvas, I decided to execute the image of a white porcelain vase and a deep ruby red strawberry into values of gray--a grisaille.  The white vase was fairly straight forward but the strawberry was a different matter.  The bright green translucent leaves made me really compare the different areas to a gray scale that I borrowed from my husband's photography paraphernalia.  The shape of the vase looks off but it's because I shot the image on an angle to reduce the glare.  The exercise was powerful and I will use it with my students.  Try creating your own complete gray scale under-painting.  Then tell me all about YOUR experience.  I would really like to know what you found. If you E-mail me a photo of your grisaille, I will post it here with your credit line.  Comments are open and welcomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...